Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Stained Glass Pieces Made in 2011

BLUE HERON for JEANETTE KLING





This piece was made for Jeanette's bathroom at their new cottage in Haliburton. She was very concerned to get just the right colours and was pleased with my poetic licence. Faceted jewels provide rainbows and strength to the design.


MERMAID REPAIR for BARBARA ARTHUR














This window was almost a total remake as there were over 25 pieces broken. Barbara's daughter had accidentaly slammed the door on her room mates mermaid glass. Before deconstructing I had to develop a pattern from the original glass. Background glass, border and hair are mostly new and it was a challenge to try and match the existing glass. The lovely baroque irridescent glass brought new life into the piece which had just plain window glass in the background. Arthur made up a new frame. Conincidentally this was the same pattern I made for our sauna window many years ago.

STATION MEXICAN SUN LOGO for BEV CHRIS

My friend Bev Chris provided a condo in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico for myself and 4 bridge friends this winter. We deicded to present here with some stained glass as a thankyou present. Bev used to own a hotel in Waterloo called The Station. When the hotel burned down in a fire Bev was able to save a few pieces of green glass in a U shape from one of the stained glass windows. It was quite a creative challenge to figure out how to make this one piece of dull glass into something with life and meaning. I had picked up the sun piece in the Walmart garden area and knew I could find a place to use it. Thus it became the focal point and of course, represents our "fun in the sun" in Mexico. Using this sun, I then had to widen the U shape border. Also, Bev had two new grand children last year and a closer look shows that this sun looks like Thomas the Train... which of course ties in nicely with the lost train station as well. I added the S for Station and the colourful border for life and a third colour - a basic design element.

FUCHIA IN CIRCLE for JENNFER and KYLE




This pattern came from a photo I took at Liz Krompcamp's cottage when we had a 60th party there two years ago. I purchased some new sizing softward which allows one to take a photo and turn it into a B&W pattern. This is such a unique design with a touch of art deco and interesting curves. I loved making this piece which was a wedding present for my good friend Cathie's daughter Jennifer. The turquoise pastel glass sets off the piece nicely.
 
FUNKY ART DECO FLOWERS for LARISSA and FEMI 






I picked up the lollipop like burgundy pink glass in a shop in New Hamburg a few years ago.... waiting for a home. It was fun to go back to a Sibbett pattern and I loved choosing the colours for this design because I was making it as a wedding present for Larissa who is very funky and flamboyant. The apricot glass in the centre of the flowers is a one of a kind piece I just discovered.... a very unusual shade. It was tricky to work around all the green blobs and  also a challenge to keep the background lines flowing rhythmically.

EMILY CARR'S SKIDEGATE TOTEM











It is always exciting to get a challenging commission and this was one of my most interesting. Sue Pottery wanted to give here daughter a gift of stained glass as a wedding present in memory of her father who used to do stained glass. She wanted it to be taken from one of Emily Carr's paintings as both Heather and her father were big Carr fans. I poured over her painting's trying to find one that could be transferred into glass. Her work is dark, twisted and pointy - not very good for glasswork. I chose this totem pole painting because it had lots of blended colours and bold curvy lines. It was difficult to find glass that suggested the many paint tones but in the end I was thrilled with the glass I found and how the design grew as I worked from the top of the pole down. One of the things Carr did with her later works was blend the subject and background in a kind of universal togetherness. I was also thrilled that this piece made it safely by bus to Vancouver in a wooden box my husband constructed.

SNOOPY NIGHT LIGHT for ELIZABETH


Elizabeth Siddorn ordered a Snoopy night light for her new son. It was hard to find a pattern that could be converted into stained glass without having too many small pieces as this is just a wee night light.










******************************************************

SAMPLE TABLE TWO CELLS
put text here

put text here

No comments: