Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Stained Glass Pieces Made in 2007

Adapted United Church Cross Logo - Dec 14, 2007



The cross on the right was made in 1999 for our minister, Tom Sherwood when he left Orleans United Church in Ottawa, and was done using the actual logo colours.

The new orange cross on the left is the second United Church Logo that I have adapted. It was made for my friend Ruth to give her son Robb, who is currently a missionary in Africa. I prefer to work with very translucent glass and it is difficult to find background glass that has variegated colours. The streaks in the background piece to the left are reflected in the vibrant colours chosen for the cross.


It was wonderful fun making this lovely pattern from Chantal's free patterns and choosing complimentary colours and textures. Alas the first piece I made for Inez was 1/8 inch too wide for the window opening. It is almost impossible to change the dimensions on a completed piece of glass.Then a solution appeared since we were going to Edmonton to spend Christmas with my niece Karina who was having a new house made. Karina loves stained glass flowers so I took the original piece as a gift for their new house. During the remake of this piece I was able to incorporate all the "wish I had done certain things differently" changes an artist always feels at the end of each project. Both were beautiful. In this piece the pinks dance in vibrant colour around the turquoise English muffled circle and the sparkling irridescent background glass.




Asiatic Lily - December 14, 2007



Elegant Bevelled Cardinal - October 21, 2007




This Cardinal came from a free Chantal Pattern. I enlarged the bird and extended the tail and added a bevel border for a more elegant look. It is pretty impossible to do spruce branches in glass so I used green plastic electricians wire for the needles and peeled off each end of the plastic to solder the needles into the seams. The background is a unique fractures and streamers glass that adds a forest like background to the ephusion of red. This mixed media piece was a surprise present for my friend Joanne for her 6Oth birthday and I had great fun making it.

1 comment:

NANCI PHELAN said...

On November 29, 2007, Scott said:

You rock Nanci!!!
Thank you so much for teaching us how to do stained glass. You are a wonderful teacher. The Helms